Bryan T. Herek, Coordinator
The First Year Experience program is comprised of a formal course each semester (CU 101 and CU 102), and specific activities students participate in as part of these classes.
The purpose of the First Year Experience Program is to assist students in making a successful transition to Chowan University. The guiding principles of the program are to help students become part of the campus community; foster personal, social and academic growth; and develop the skills necessary to be a successful college student. During their first year, students will develop:
- “A Sense of Capability” by building academic skills.
- “A Sense of Academic Culture” by familiarizing themselves with Chowan University and university culture in general.
- “A Sense of Purpose” through an exploration of why they are at the University.
- “A Sense of Resourcefulness” by learning how to navigate the University to seek help and information.
- “A Sense of Connectedness” to the University by learning about and/or participating in Chowan’s rich academic, social, cultural, and spiritual communities.