Feb 28, 2024
2023-2024 Academic Catalog
The Honors College is a curriculum designed for talented and extremely motivated students who want to gain the most from their university experience. Participants are given the opportunity to grow on many levels-academically, culturally, and socially. Honors courses are specially designed to develop students’ writing and discussion skills and their ability to think critically beyond the norm. Honors students will also have the opportunity to attend cultural events, take field trips, and build social responsibility through community service. The college is designed to foster abilities in the student that can be used throughout their academic and professional careers.
- Honors students will demonstrate the ability to think, analyze, investigate, and discover beyond the usual academic requirements.
- Honors students will foster an attitude of responsibility to self and community and develop an appreciation for culture and the arts as central to the quality of life of a people.
- Honors students will undertake and bring to completion, in a disciplined way, a large-scale intellectual investigation and present the results to the campus community.
- Honors students will develop scholarly habits essential in graduate and professional school.
Benefits of the Honors College
Honors students will enjoy many special benefits by being enrolled in the program. Some of these benefits are:
- Intellectually challenging curriculum
- Classes that encourage creative interaction
- Dynamic professors interested in enriching students’ academic experience
- Strong support network among students and faculty in the program
- Community service opportunities
- Recognition of students’ intellectual ability, vision, and commitment, which helps to open up possibilities for future study and employment
- Participation in research conferences
- Honors Study Center
- Opportunities to publish original work
- Extended borrowing privileges at Whitaker Library
- Early registration for courses
- Recognition at awards ceremonies
- Invitations to special lectures and cultural events
- Development of new and diverse friendships, a sense of accomplishment, and a wider perspective on issues and life itself
- Honors designation on transcripts and diploma
- Recognition at graduation
- Membership in the Honors College Student Association
Requirements for Honors College