Ella Benson, Dean
Preparing Committed Professional Educators with Knowledge and Practices for a Continuously Changing World
The mission of teacher preparation at Chowan University is to prepare committed professionals to provide quality instruction for all learners. This mission aligns with the University’s commitment to excellence in teaching, scholarly inquiry, and service in a Judeo-Christian environment. Through rigorous curricula, modeled pedagogy, and careful program planning, the School of Education equips its graduates with the knowledge, skills, and dispositions to educate all students in an ever-changing, diverse world.
Administered through the School of Education, the vision of teacher preparation programs at Chowan University is to prepare committed professional educators with knowledge and practices for a continuously changing world.
The School of Education prepares individuals for teaching careers in elementary and secondary schools. The programs of study enable teacher candidates to gain competence in specialized and general areas of teaching. The Bachelor’s degree in Education is offered through the School of Education in the following teacher preparation programs:
- Comprehensive Science Education - prepares students to teach science in grades 9-12
- Elementary Education - prepares students to teach in the elementary school, grades K-6
- English Education - prepares students to teach English in grades 9-12
- Health and Physical Education - prepares student to teach health and physical education content and activities in grades K-12
- Mathematics Education - prepares students to teach mathematics in grades 9-12
- Music Education - prepares students to teach instrumental and vocal music in grades K-12
- Social Studies Education - prepares students to teach social studies in grades 9-12
The Unit consists of the School of Education and all professional education programs outside the School of Education that prepare professionals to work in P-12 schools. The Head of the Unit is the Dean of the School of Education who effectively manages and coordinates all professional education programs.